[WikiEN-l] The Mediation Committee

James Rosenzweig jwrosenzweig at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 22:31:42 UTC 2005

I am writing this here because I don't know where else
to write it -- perhaps [[Wikipedia talk:Mediation
Committee]] would be preferable, but judging from the
situation I am about to describe, the page doesn't
seem to be particularly closely watched at present.

The MC is currently in an apparent standstill: there
are several requests for mediation that have evidently
gone without response from a mediator for weeks, half
the committee has left for the AC, and the committee's
chair (Bcorr, a fine contributor and mediator) is
seemingly on indefinite leave (certainly he's been
away from mediation for a number of weeks, and I
haven't seen an anticipated return date).  To remedy
this situation, which was obviously critical as long
as a month ago, several users (myself included)
presented ourselves as candidates in mid- to late
December.  Several of us have, as yet, received
nothing but support votes from the MC and outside
voters.  No action, however, has been taken to promote
us....I suspect it is because there is no Chair active
to declare decisions final.

I am, of course, very hesitant to say anything about
this for fear of sounding as though I am grasping for
a role on the MC -- I don't want anyone to have the
impression I'm desperate for power (frankly, the break
following the AC elections has been wonderful).  But
mediation needs to be fixed and soon, especially
because AC cases have been refused for not following
dispute resolution steps -- not having an active MC
makes dispute resolution extremely difficult.

I am hoping this note sparks someone's attention to
get the ball rolling.  Obviously, as a candidate, I
can't really "be bold" and promote a bunch of us, and
if mediation is alive and well (presumably on a page
other than Wikipedia:Requests for mediation), I hope
someone will tell me.  But something needs to be done
before we have too many users (who are apparently open
to mediation) who get entrenched in opposition to each
other because a window of opportunity is lost.  Sorry
to be alarmist.  Best wishes to all,

James R.
en:User:Jwrosenzweig