[WikiEN-l] original research, sources, and verification

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Thu Jan 20 22:58:24 UTC 2005

JAY JG (jayjg at hotmail.com) [050121 08:46]:
>From: Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>

> >The phrase "you should actively search for" does not imply that the less
> >autoritative ones should be excluded, only that better ones should be
> >included.  By adding a caveat to a dubious reference it forewarns the user
> >of a possible problem.  When that same reference is deleted from the
> >article the warning goes with it, and our poor user is left to Google and
> >flounder on his own.  He will probably find the site anyway, and have to
> >waste his own time determining that the site is pure trash.

> And what form should that "caveat" take?  "Warning, this site is run by
> kooks"?

There should be a way to do it that the proponents would  not reasonably
object to. For instance, [[Rudolf Hess]] contains an external link to the
[[Institute for Historical Review]] which notes that they are Holocaust
revisionists, which they do claim to be. And both the majority against such
revisionism and the minority for it know exactly what "Holocaust
revisionism" means; and anyone who doesn't can follow the link on
"revisionist".

- d.