[WikiEN-l] original research, sources, and verification

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Thu Jan 20 20:34:02 UTC 2005

JAY JG wrote:

>> steven l. rubenstein said:
>> > repute of sources.  Our "official policy" of "cite sources" explains
>> > that  claims should come from reputable sources,
>> >
>> Tony Sidaway replied:
>>
>> You mean [[wikipedia:cite sources]] says this?  Where does it say that
>> sources should be reputable?
>

> The policy states "More than that, you should actively search for
> authoritative references to cite".  Authoritative, in my view, means
> reputable.

At the risk of splitting hairs, I usually interpret "authoritative"
as being with respect to something, while "reputable" is less
focussed. A LaRouche website can be authoritative w.r.t. official
group positions, while being considered non-authoritative on every
other subject, and maybe generally disreputable to boot.

References and external links should include at least brief
caveats about quality of sources, just as one sees in good book
bibliographies.

Stan