[WikiEN-l] original research, sources, and verification

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Thu Jan 20 19:54:58 UTC 2005

steven l. rubenstein said:
> repute of sources.  Our "official policy" of "cite sources" explains
> that  claims should come from reputable sources,

You mean [[wikipedia:cite sources]] says this?  Where does it say that
sources should be reputable?  What if I want to describe the British
National Party's official policy on asylum seekers?  Wouldn't the best way
to do that be to cite the official policy itself?  It isn't produced by a
reputable organisation, but it's pretty authoritative on official
published party policy.
Evaluation of sources is something that can be left to the reader.  NPOV
means that we report facts, and facts about opinions.  We do not present
an evaluation, we simply take care to describe the source accurately and
correctly identify the information that the source provides. So for
instance an official LaRouche website is a very good source for the
content of the official statements of the LaRouche people, an official
government website is a good source for the content of official statements
of the government, and the UN website is a good source for the official
published minutes of UN meetings and the like.  It's up to the reader to
decide what to make of the respective organisations.