[WikiEN-l] original research, sources, and verification

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 18:57:02 UTC 2005

--- "steven l. rubenstein" <rubenste at ohiou.edu> wrote:
> I think we should either expand the brief of the mediation and arbitration
> committees to enforce content guidelines or, if those committees prefer
> having a more limited brief, form some other clear process to resolve
> conflicts over content and enforce content policies.

As you pointed out, what constitutes reputable sources varies a great deal by
discipline and is still very subjective. So, IMO, the ArbCom cannot directly
touch content disputes until much better content guidelines and policies are
developed (not to mention the fact of community support for extending that
power to the ArbCom).

In my experience, those who violate NPOV and/or who push crank theories are
opposed by other editors and eventually violate behavioral policies and
guidelines. So this is somewhat self-correcting as-is. Of course it would be
more efficient to deal with this before it becomes a behavioral issue, but
doing so in a fair way is not at all easy.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)