[WikiEN-l] Dealing quickly with rogue editors (was The 3RR policy should not always be blindly followed)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 18:05:12 UTC 2005

--- David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
> Is there anyone on this list with serious objections to short (12hr or
> 24hr) blocks for personal abuse? I'd like to see what can be done about the
> objections to the idea, with the hope of getting it through again.

I would support that. As is, our no personal attacks policy has little by way
of teeth to it.

The only problem, and this is a big one, is what constitutes a personal attack?
Use of profanity in a provocative way is an obvious criteria, but there are
*many* ways a person can demean another person without resorting to base
language.

What do you do when you come across a complete piece of trash article or edit?
Criticizing something like that, even when it is justified, may be seen as a
personal attack by the author.

So we must tread a fine line here due to the subjective nature of the offense.

RfC may be a way for the community to quickly decide the less than clear cases.
A short term poll could be held on someone's RfC page to see whether or not
that person violated the 'no personal attacks' policy. If <75% agree, then that
person gets blocked for a small period of time (24hrs to a week; anything
longer would need an ArbCom ruling).

Obviously safeguards will need to be developed to minimize abuse. Otherwise mob
rule will be used to punish merely unpopular users - Hemlock anybody?

> >  I understand that
> > temporary injunctions by ArbCom were supposed to help with this, but,
> > ironically, in more cases than not the final rulings are brought down
> > before any temporary injunctions get the necessary votes.
>
> This is one thing we're trying to get better with!

We could lower the vote threshold for temp injunctions. My original idea was to
use the same criteria we use to open and close cases - just 4 yes votes needed.

-- mav