[WikiEN-l] "See also" section heading

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Tue Jan 18 17:05:06 UTC 2005

Zoney (zoney.ie at gmail.com) [050119 04:01]:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:57:01 -0000, Charles Matthews
> <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > Zoney wrote

> > > I hereby propose that instead of using the heading "See also" at the
> > > end of articles, we use the title "Related articles".

> > As far as I'm concerned, these mean different things.  'See also' can
> > include non-related articles with names that are closely related, for
> > example  [[Gilbert O'Sullivan]] in an article on [[Gilbert and Sullivan]].
> > I think 'See also' is fine; I'm sure most people just treat it as advisory.

> Ah, but you see, that's exactly the kind of thing that would be nice
> to stop (in my opinion). If for example, [[Gilbert O'Sullivan]] is
> likely to be confused with [[Gilbert and Sullivan]] (and I'm not
> certain about that, but yes, there are other plausible examples), it
> should surely be treated as disambiguation, not lumped in with a list
> of *related* articles. "See also" is too much of a "catch all" title.

In practice, "See also" is universally treated as meaning "Related articles
(that don't have a link in the text)" rather than "disambiguation".
Furthermore, the few existing examples of "Related articles" are being
replaced with the conventional "See also". I think a move back is unlikely
to gain traction.

- d.