[WikiEN-l] Blindly following the 3+ revert rule

Robert rkscience100 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 16:01:25 UTC 2005

Cool Hand Luke writes:
> If your edits really are the editorially correct thing
> for the article, it should be no problem to get someone
> else to revert with you. Thus only the allegedly
> irrational party of an edit war will break the 3RR, but
> not the supposedly NPOV editors do.

Nice theory. But in practice this is simply false. Most of
our articles have very few people who actively edit on them
or who are even qualified to even edit them. Sure, hundreds
of people do edits on [[God]] or [[Prophet]]. But how many
people can recognize vandalism or abuse on [[Process
philosophy]], [[Conservative responsa]] or esoteric math
and physics articles?

In practice very often we cannot easilly get someone else
to help us revert or edit, at least not for a few days.
I've asked for help on articles, only to have other editors
say "I don't know enough about the topic; I can't do
anything."  JayJG points out this same issue.

Again, I am not saying that we should throw away the 3+
revert rule, or any other rule.  But we DO NOT blindly
enforce Wikipedia rules with 'bots.  Sysops are supposedly
human beings with some amount of common sense.  Let's see
some evidence of this.  If I want to be part of 'bot
community, I'll play Doom 3 in single-player mode.

Robert (RK)