[WikiEN-l] The 3RR policy should not always be blindly followed

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 17 16:35:36 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote

> Bad example.  [[Wikipedia:Cite sources]] is a content guideline, not a
> policy.  Besides, this kind of thing should be worked out on the talk
> page, not by engaging in an edit war.  To spell it out: even if someone is
> (short of outright vandalism) disobeying policy, the first thing to do is
> have a word with him about what he's doing.  Edit warring is wrong even if
> you know you're right.

> >> Yet both are blocked.
>
> Good.  I believe that is how the 3RR blocks are intended to work.

Not to sound unnecessarily hostile.  But it does often seem to me that RK
argues as if putting down markers for some future edit war.  Tony rightly
argues that we have a policy, which has very general support in its current
form.  It encourages a patient, measured approach.  Trying to shade it in
favour of the marginally-less-unreasonable party in an edit war is not
something I'd support.

Charles