[WikiEN-l] Re: Illegitimate block.

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sat Jan 15 14:19:25 UTC 2005

Robert Brookes (the_robert_brookes at yahoo.com) [050115 20:22]:

> I thought that the beauty of the 3RR rule was its "simplicity" in that when a breach is committed there is no doubt? No sooner had the ink dried on that policy update that such a breach could lead to a 24 hour block than some of the more "imaginative" sysops were proposing to "interpret" the intention of  a specific editor and demanding the power to block at will based on their personal interpretation.
> There is a need to indeed keep it simple or severely restrict who may block through their personal powers for omnipotent interpretation of what another person is thinking.

I fear admin consensus appears to be against you on this one, that you
do not in fact have some sort of ironclad right to four reverts in 24h 1m,
and that admins will in fact apply the "is this person taking the piss?"
test.

Wikipedia is not primarily an experiment in Internet democracy. It's a
project to write an encyclopedia.

- d.