[WikiEN-l] Re: External links and self-linking to my site (NSK)

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Wed Jan 12 15:38:17 UTC 2005

Looks like a borderline case to me, because

a) It's not at all clear to me that http://portal.wikinerds.org/node/103 adds
much to the http://en.wikipedia.org/Homo_floriensis article

b) Even if it does, it's not clear that the Wikinerds link is the best
source, or even a particularly good source for that information. It is not
nearly as close to the source, or as authoritative as several of the other
links that are already in the article.

c) NSK does have a clear promotional interest in wanting to build up his
site.

There is such a thing outright gross spamming. I don't think NSK is doing
this. In the email world, outright gross spammers are the people who simply
pump the stuff out in bulk, more or less acknowledge that it's spam, hang
tough, and just defy anyone to stop them. In Wikipedia, it is people who
systematically add links as fast they can type (or as fast a Wikipedia's
servers can accept them!) There was (for example) a used bookstore site that
was planting literally scores of links to the site, one in every article
about an author whose books they carried.

NSK isn't doing anything like this.

On the other hand, my perception is that he _is_ seeking to find ways in
which he can simultaneously help Wikipedia _and also_ promote his site as a
byproduct.

This is skating on thin ice, and NSK should know it.

There's a wide variation in peoples' attitude toward and trigger-happiness
with things that are perceived as spam. NSK should not be surprised that some
editors are going to delete this kind of link, with varying degrees of
politeness.

I don't think there's any need for NSK to "leave Wikipedia" but I don't think
he should be too surprised or indignant if links of this kind are removed. A
reasonable reaction would be for him to exercise more restraint in adding
them, and adding them only when it is clearer that the Wikinerds link
_really_ is valuable. NSK should keep the frequently low. Add a note on the
talk page justifying the link, because some people will tend to be trigger-
happy on anything that looks spammish, even if it really isn't. And if the
links get deleted as spam, shrug it off.