[WikiEN-l] Re: External links and self-linking to my site

NSK nsk2 at wikinerds.org
Wed Jan 12 06:53:19 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 08:22, Matt Brown wrote:
> In this case, it looks like your link is on topic and relevant.
> Whether it is needed is another matter, but one that can be resolved
> in a more peaceable manner.  I don't agree with removing it and citing
> as the sole reason that it's a site you put up.

Thank you very much for your valuable and insightful input.

I would like to add that it would be beneficial for Wikipedia to have a formal
policy on external links, and that all admins should agree on what is and
what isn't spam.

I personally would never post a link to my site (or to anybody's site) if it
was not relevant to the subject and if I hadn't the belief that it is
beneficial to the reader.

I also would like to point out that on our JnanaBase wiki it is allowed for
people to post links to their sites. A person has already did that and wrote
a nice informative article, he/she even included a link to us on his/her
forum saying we have a great site. But also, many times other people are
posting links that I recognise as spam. How I define spam? Well, spam is any
link or reference inserted for advertising purposes that hinders the quality
of our site and is not beneficial to the reader.

I have also linked to Wikipedia numerous times. Even the article in question
includes a direct link to Wikipedia.

By including that link in Wikipedia I wanted to offer something beneficial to
its readers. My intention was *not* to have free advertising. Actually, I
have paid money to Google (AdWords) and www.LinuxISO.org for displaying my
textad and banner, and I am just an unemployed Computer Science student.

Thank you very much for reading my message.

--
NSK
Visit my wiki at http://jnana.wikinerds.org