[WikiEN-l] Re: WikiEN-l Re: Are legal threats blockable offenses?

Travis Hite hite at digworld.com
Mon Jan 10 06:30:11 UTC 2005

Someone on this list said that legal threats are just another type of, or
another name for, or a euphemism for, personal attacks.

You are incorrect. There is a humongous difference, even though it's easy
to draw a parallel.

The difference between personal attacks and legal threats is the difference
between "I hate you because you're an evil idiot who eats babies" and "I am
going to break your leg and stab you in the arm tomorrow behind the
supermarket."

I do not believe there should be any tolerance whatsoever for legal
threats. Personal attacks and other mere arguments may be offencive, but
that's all just a part of the debate of Wikipedia, even if it's a rough
part of debate and one to avoid.

Legal threats are an entirely different thing. If the policy does not
provide for it now, any user making a serious legal threat should be
blocked on the spot, I believe. Forever.
--

DOMINGO GALDóS