[WikiEN-l] Re: www.wikipedia.org no longer redirects to the en main page

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 06:51:52 UTC 2005

I'd like to all what has been said that there will be redir

Mark Pellegrini a écrit:
> I'd like to start out by noting that www.wikipedia.org no longer redirects
> to the english
> wikipedia's main page. Instead, it's been turned into a replica of the
> language template.
> Deeper links ( www.wikipedia.org/wiki/name_of_article ) still work, but the
> main page
> does not.
>
> First of all, this is a MAJOR, MAJOR change and was totally unannounced. Nor
> did anyone in the community get a chance to object before it was put into
> place.
> (Because I suspect there would have been a major outcry)

Hello.

If you are interested in any international matters, please register to
wikipedia-l mailing list and check in http://meta.wikimedia.org where
these topics are discussed.

Actually, this has been going on for more than two years, and was
recently discussed on wikitech as well.

I invite to see that mail from Brion Vibber :
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2002-October/023565.html
Which lead to a huge discussion.

See :
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2002-October/thread.html

This discussion revived from time to time :-)

> Second of all, I cannot fathom why the this was changed. By now, there's a
> huge
> inertia behind the fact that www.wikipeda.org links to the english main
> page.
> This is going to break *MANY* links, bookmarks, etc. We (the english
> Wikipedia) are
> goings to lose significant number of potential contributors because of this.

Do not worry about this Mark. Articles are redirected.

Please check for example http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/agriculture

You will notice it is redirected to the english article, so no links
will break. No bookmark will be entirely lost.

The best thing english reader will get to know in seing the page from
now is that other languages exist, and this, many people just do not
know yet. It is good they discover it.

> Why the hell was this changed? Why was no one told before hand, or even
> afterward?
>
> --Mark

It was changed because the english is not a sphere around which
everything gravitates anymore. The children grew up and they are getting
recognition in the adult world. A parent should always be happy of this :-)

Anthere