[WikiEN-l] Re: The irritation of a server being blocked through the actions of another

Arwel Parry arwel at cartref.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 9 02:40:00 UTC 2005

In message <20050108165903.93737.qmail at web30104.mail.mud.yahoo.com>,
Robert Brookes
<the_robert_brookes-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes
>One assumes that Arwel Parry was acting in good faith when he blocked
>IP 198.54.202.242. Sadly that is the IP of a server and thus will
>affect a large number of people if they happen to be members of
>Wikipedia. Surely there is a more technically precise manner in which
>to block vandals without blocking members who actually login to edit
>Wikipedia?

I certainly was, and note that this IP had already received 5 warnings
against vandalism in recent months. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It would be helpful if you could supply ranges of any server IP
addresses you know, so they could be added to the list displayed on the
"block user" screen so we know to go easy on the perpetrators. As it
happens, David had unblocked the address about 10 minutes before I got
your email, but I couldn't find this address on "whois" when I used Sam
Spade, so I still don't know which ISP the address belongs to.

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/