[WikiEN-l] Re: 3 reverts in 24 hours is allowed by not condoned

Daniel P.B.Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Fri Jan 7 22:34:38 UTC 2005

> One point to remember about 3RR: if you get as far as *three* reverts
> in 24
> hours, something's badly wrong. Allowing three reverts in 24 hours is
> one
> of the things Wikipedia allows but does not condone.

Hear, hear!

I revert once, with a terse edit comment.

XYZ reverts.

I revert again, with a careful edit comment saying "see Talk" and a
good reason in the talk page.

If, at this point, XYZ reverts again, I don't know what the most
effective thing to do is. But I do know one thing for sure: reverting a
third time is not it.

Now if--and the thing is possible--goaded beyond endurance, I were to
continue with further reverts at various points in time... well, jeez,
I'm skating on thin ice. I know it, everyone knows it. And suppose an
admin _did_ block me, why would I even bother to complain? Why not just
accept the slap on the wrist and wait out the 24 hours?

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/