[WikiEN-l] Evercat v. Libertas

BJörn Lindqvist bjourne at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 15:35:34 UTC 2005

> I've been accused by User/Troll Libertas of being all "creepy" since I
> revealed "her" location after 172 asked me to investigate whether "she"
> might be User:Reithy. Libertas claims I've repeatedly revealed "her"
> location. This is sort of true. I did indeed look up "her" location and
> reveal it.

Even though it is very easy to track someones location from their IP,
most people do not know that. They feel that their privacy is being
violated when someone "reveal" in which nation/city they live and
which ISP they use. Therefore I think it is best to respect people's
(illusional) privacy and not make them feel violated by revealing
personal details. That she felt that she could reveal her location on
IRC doesn't matter. If you had a gay aquiantance who on a public forum
had written that he is gay, would you feel allowed to go tell the
world about his sexuality without permission?

> But "she" kept on with "her" insults, and finally, becoming Really
> Bloody Furious (tm) I blocked "her". This was possibly another mistake.
> I'll step down as a sysop, if people feel I should, but "she" seems like
> an obvious troll to me.

I have inspected her edit history for the recent few days and I cannot
find any trollish behaviour there. Since that was the only reason you
gave for blocking her (irc quarrels doesn't count), stepping down
sounds like a good idea.

--
mvh Björn