[WikiEN-l] inquiry from an Italian journalist

Jim Cecropia jcecropia at mail.com
Sat Jan 1 17:07:24 UTC 2005

Hello Andrea,

As others have already said, you would need to ask whatever authority issues journalism licenses in Italy what is and is not acceptable. I would doubt Wikipedia would be, since Wikipedia editors are self-selected.

The idea of a "journalists' license" is quite foreign to the U.S. experience, so I have no idea what your licensing people are looking for: simple examples of your writing? that your articles are published?

If you submit articles to U.S. media, I would suggest you look for subjects and/or "spins" that would give the U.S. reader an idea of a particularly Italian or European viewpoint on the subject matter, or tell news of Italian culture or politics that an American might find interesting or informative. The U.S. has ample writers about the Middle East, both homegrown and imported, and your writing would have to reveal something new and interesting (factual, or comparative perspective, not simply a Eurocentric polemic) to be likely to be picked up by U.S. media. Europe (though some countries moreso than Italy) has a much different perspective on the Middle East than the U.S. and a U.S. reader might like to know what the differences are and why they exist. I would think such an article would have to address Europe's different history in regard to the Middle East and relationship to Arab peoples, as well as Europe's history with Jews.

Consider submitting articles to The New York Times and Washington Post as op-eds. No pay, but the article are not self-selected and the media are prestigious.

Hope this helps,

Cecropia