[WikiEN-l] Re: Raul's 6th law of Wikipedia confirmed

Daniel P. B. Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Wed Aug 31 11:03:03 UTC 2005

> From: Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com>
>
>> I personally think that the co-opting of Wikipedia for commercial and
>> promotional purposes is a real danger to Wikipedia.
>>
>> I am especially concerned about the articles we get about movies,
>> software, games, concert tours, reality TV shows, etc. that are
>> _about to_ be released within the next couple of months, always with
>> the assertion that they are certain to be very notable.
>
> I guess I don't see the where the danger part comes in.

That is why I said it is one of those areas where there is, I fear,
no consensus.

> It seems
> more like a self-correcting phenomenon

No, things do not correct _themselves._ They must be corrected by
_people._ Who must take time and effort that would otherwise be spent
on other things.

> If you really wanted to monitor and be able to VfD things after
> they've proven to be obscure duds, just make a new category of
> "to be released" things, perhaps subcatted by year, then review
> the following year.

"Just?"

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/