[WikiEN-l] situational process - laws in pencil

steve v vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 04:47:56 UTC 2005

--- El C <el.ceeh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Everyone has ideals, only the most narrow-minded,
> agenda-driven of
> minds consider the basis for these to be limited
> to... shal we say,
> situational isolationism.

Above rhetoric translated: "Everyone has an agenda,
and [epithet] [epithet] view agendas to be limited to
situational ethics in isolated cases."

I didnt say one agenda was limited to one particular
modality -- I said switching selectively between a
principled modality and a selectively principled
modality is, by definition, situational ethics.
Particularly when a couple of us are clear about other
cases of "hate lists" -- all of which were handled
through normal process --when there finally was one
instituted. Again, the issue is whether the process
works or not.

> The issue isn't with the ideals (abstract or
> otherwise), but rather,
> to whenever there is a risk for these to serve
> merely as a pretext for
> a highly a *selective* approach, one wherein these
> ideals are
> juxtaposed, transposed, and superimposed to any
> concrete case in an
> un-balanced, inaccurate, and un-objective way.

Above rhetoric translated: "Due process carries the
risk of having bad results, and thus there ought to be
limits on it." Ben Franklin might say something about
"deserving of neither."

> Rationality goes hand in hand with relationality.
> Unfortunately,
> empathy often isn't enough to bring a sympathy which
> is balanced, be
> it for those absorbed in abstract ideals, petty
> proceduralism, or
> both. The forest *and* the tress, in other words.
> Either one, in
> itself, is obviously insufficient and
> self-defeating.

Above rhetoric translated, transliterated:
"Rationality has the unfortunate problem of being
applied in a manner which may be disagreeable to me.
Feely-feelings sometimes lead to bias, [epithet],
[eptithet], etc. In a balanced approach can lead to
imbalance."

I like your confusing style, but I have to take it in
the context of your less rational appeals. The above
translations simple reflect my "petty" abstraction of
terms for terms. Mutatis mutandis.

SV