[WikiEN-l] Fictional articles?

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 15:53:33 UTC 2005

Hi all.

I'm wanting to expand the [[Nihilartikel]] article, by discussing the
occurence of nihilartikels - deliberately fictional articles - in open
publications like Wikipedia. We mention a couple, which were articles
about famous hoaxes themselves presented as real ([[Uqbar]] and [[San
Serriffe]]) before being fixed. And, of course, there was [[Jamie
Kane]] recently. Things like [[Battle of Blenau]] Does anyone remember
any cases?

(Myself, I found three fictional Aztec gods. First reference here June
10, deleted mid August.)

However, what I'm looking for are cases of purely false information,
not particularly intended for humorous effect or linked to popular
culture - which if memory serves do get caught and hauled onto VfD
every now and again. This is a developing role of the nihilartikel -
rather than being inserted "from high", they get added from below,
almost as part of a [[breaching experiment]] ("let's see if this
lasts")

I do know we have people actively inserting false information into
wikipedia. Not all of it is fiction presented as fact; some is fantasy
presented as fact. But hard to discuss it without cases, without
knowing how long these last "in the wild"...

Thanks,
--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk