[WikiEN-l] Pseudodoxia (neo-Nazi Wikipedia)

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Aug 27 20:24:43 UTC 2005

Jtkiefer wrote:
> I just realized that they are violating our license, they aren't quoting
> wikipedia as the source of content, and except for users who had the
> foresight to use the this is a wikipedia userpage tag on their user and
> user talk page, their pages are ripped unattributed on the site, that's
> a violation of the GFDL I believe, I also wish there was a way to
> prevent these bastards (I'm censoring myself due to the fact that
> younger people might read this list, the correct word starts with an F
> and ends with an S) since I don't want someone googling my username and
> finding it mirrored in full on a Nazi wiki, and I think most users agree
> with me on this.

It occurs to me that there is no very good reason for us to include the
User and User_talk namespaces in the standard database dumps.  Is there?

For those who think that we are required to provide database dumps of
these pages due to the requirements of the GFDL, you are mistaken.  The
html that we provide directly on the website is itself the "transparent
copy" demanded by the license.  We are not required to provide the
actual wikitext of anything.  We do so merely as a courtesy to people
wanting to do interesting stuff with our content.

But userpages are different.

--Jimbo