[WikiEN-l] Re: A neo-Nazi wikipedia

Michael Turley michael.turley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 19:50:32 UTC 2005

On 8/25/05, slimvirgin at gmail.com <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> This discussion is getting a little circular, stale, and off-topic.
> Anyone who wants me to unblock Amalekite should e-mail me. So far I've
> had e-mails supportive of the block, but not one from anyone thinking
> it should be overturned. If people e-mail me directly with their
> views, I'll have a better idea of community consensus, and then I can
> take it into account.
>
> Sarah

I don't believe that any one administrator is the gatekeeper for who
remains blocked, which is why I haven't made a request to any one
administrator to unblock the user.  I am NOT petitioning you to do so
now.

Instead, I was (and still am) hoping that an administrator would
decide for themselves that we need remain on the moral high ground,
and take this action of their own volition.  Because of the higher
trust granted to them, I was actually hoping an arbitrator would make
this moral stand and do so.

If you are willing, I would like a clear explanation of what policy
grounds this user was blocked indefinitely.  If it is "IAR", I hope
you will apologize for the block, if in fact someone removes it.  I
think this discussion is likely to continue as long as people don't
understand the reasoning for what appears to be preemptive action
against an editor.

If I am incorrect, and there is supporting policy other than
"Calvinball", I assure you that you'll have my apology, and five
properly sourced, cited, content contributing edits to any Wikipedia
articles of your choice as token of my sincerity.

It is not my intent to be disruptive, insulting, or otherwise
abrasive.  Wikipedia was founded on some great ideals.  I think that
this is a distinct and unique opportunity to show that those ideals
apply in all situations, and that the moral high ground is worth
claiming, even as we proceed to produce an NPOV final product.

--
Michael Turley
User:Unfocused