[WikiEN-l] Re: A neo-Nazi wikipedia

steve v vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 17:16:56 UTC 2005

IIRC, the person in question wasnt "banned" --they
were blocked indefinitely, which doesnt mean
permanently. Any sysop can go unblock him, if they
were so motivated (I think Ill be too busy, myself).
But FEI, only two cases would make such a block
permanent: A ruling by the esteemed but understaffed
Arbcom, or a ruling by the benefcient & dedicated
founder-at-large.

One belonging to the former should have a keen
understanding of the circumstances and reasons under
which the Arbcom was founded. IAC, what needs to
happen now is the DR process needs to catch up in
growth to scale with the community. "Bigger
government"? Government needs to be in proportion to
the society, otherwise we fall back to the rule by
decrees, which, irrespective of the particular case in
question should be taken as a sign of DR's failure in
any particular circumstance, and weakening of DR. In
this case, some seem to be suggesting that DR can't
handle certain types of trolls, which I think is
rather sophistic.

SV