[WikiEN-l] Re: A neo-Nazi wikipedia

Haukur Þorgeirsson haukurth at hi.is
Tue Aug 23 22:40:20 UTC 2005

Thank you for your thoughtful answer, Rachel.

> Thanks for offering to do that, but I wonder if you realize how much
> work would be involved. I've done it with a few of the neo-Nazis, and
> it's not a question of blindly reverting. You have to rewrite their
> edits, because their writing is often poor; you have to resource their
> claims because the sources are often white-supremacist or personal
> websites; you have to answer their questions on talk and stay civil
> and respectful; you have to steer them in the direction of policy, and
> explain it to them many, many times.

Thanks for the warning. Yes, I think I do realize that. I tried rewriting
the [[Eustace Mullins]] article after the User:Amalekite edit skirmish and
I haven't been reverted yet. Hopefully that's a good sign.

> It's not easy to do this all the while knowing that the editor (in
> this case) personally believes that his Jewish Wikipedian colleagues
> are sub-human.

I can only hope it's good exercise for the spirit.

> Amalekite represents a tiny minority of nutcases who believe that
> certain ethnic groups and races are not fully human and do not deserve
> to live.

I believe this is a minority view, even within the racist movement. Other
parts of the racism spectrum are, I fear, rather more common. Common
enough to form a significant minority view in some cases. Exactly where on
the spectrum User:Amalekite dwells I do not know but he did not seem to be
pushing the idea that certain ethnic groups do not deserve to live.

I petition you: Lift your ban on the user. If he returns to editing (which
I think is fairly unlikely) I'll undertake to babysit him and if he breaks
any rules I'll immediately take the appropriate action.

Regards,
Haukur