[WikiEN-l] Re: A neo-Nazi wikipedia

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 19:44:22 UTC 2005

On 8/23/05, Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
> Oskar Sigvardsson wrote:
>
> >These are some direct quotes from this guy:
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >Does it really matter to you that said these things outside wikipedia?
> >
> Yes. While Saudi Arabia may be fine with stopping advocates of
> women's rights at the border, on the theory that they are certain
> to commit heinous crimes against the social order, I think WP should
> set a less medieval standard.
>
> Pragmatically, if you pre-ban editors with open biases or goals,
> they will just make new logins and make the same edits quietly;
> just as women's advocates do now in Saudi, come to think of it. :-)
>
> Stan

Look, wikipedia is not an experiment in democracy. The ability to edit
an article is a privilege, not a right. I'm am not trying to set some
sort of precedence (and that would be a horrible precedent indeed),
but lets excercise some common sense. This guy has basically admitted
on another site that he will put in pro-nazi, anti-jewish POV edits.
He has made horrible statements about fellow human beings on the
grounds of they having a specific race. Beyond the colour of a persons
skin, this man has no respect what so ever for his rights as a person.

Is that really the kind of people we want on wikipedia? To edit is a
privilige, not a right.

--gkhan