[WikiEN-l] VfD vs. Wikipedia:

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 16:39:32 UTC 2005

On 20/08/05, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> More to the point - the policy does not exist "because there is a page
> on it". Wikipedia is not, as I believe a guideline says somewhere, a
> game of nomic; the existence of hard-and-fast policy is integral to
> the system, not just something we happened to write.

Policies are also descriptive, not prescriptive.

I'm sure that, in the early days, there were some "decrees from on
high" from the likes Wales and a couple of others.

Ever since though policy has been more about a record of what happens,
rather than an attempt to change it.

The "how to create policy" page makes a telling point - in the last
two years, only about 5 out of 70 attempts to 'create policy'
succeeded.

Dan