[WikiEN-l] VfD vs. Wikipedia:

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 14:55:34 UTC 2005

On 20/08/05, Dan Grey <dangrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20/08/05, Essjay -Wikipedia- <essjay-wiki at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Stuff
>
> No, VfD can't touch policy, including proposed policy.
>
> Why? VfD is a small corner of WP which isn't a terribly nice place and
> many people go nowhere near it. Therefore, it's incapable of
> ascertaining whether or not a policy page has consensus amongst the
> community.

More to the point - the policy does not exist "because there is a page
on it". Wikipedia is not, as I believe a guideline says somewhere, a
game of nomic; the existence of hard-and-fast policy is integral to
the system, not just something we happened to write.

So you VfD WP:NPOV. Wow. Big deal. If it got deleted, all that it'd
mean would be that we didn't have a page defining the NPOV policy (so
someone would have to write it again). It wouldn't magically cause
that policy to cease being a fundamental part of the project...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk