[WikiEN-l] VfD vs. Wikipedia:

Essjay -Wikipedia- essjay-wiki at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 20 12:55:16 UTC 2005

(First, hello all, please be patient with me, as this is my first post to
the mailing list and I'm sure I'll do something wrong in the process.)

I have a very specific question that I can't seem to find an answer to, and
it seems that the mailing list is the best way to get a definative answer,
particularly from our Fearless Leader. Everyone knows that there have been a
couple of recent VfD's that have created havoc on the site, and have been
commented on ad nauseam. I don't want to rehash those particular examples,
rather, I want an answer to this question:

Is it appropriate for the fate of pages in the Wikipedia: (project)
namespace to be decided on VfD?

The deletion policy is vague on the issue. I understand that the recent
VfD's have involved specific issues that many would consider exeptions to
policy, but all I want to know is, is it okay for otherwise acceptible pages
in the project namespace to be VfD'd:

1) If I propose a policy in good faith, is it acceptible to disregard
standard proceedure for gaining consensus and instead list the page on VfD,
and if it survives, consider it policy, and if it fails, consider it dead?
2) If so, can established policies/guidlines be overturned by a VfD. For
example, WP:BITE.
3) Finally, if established policy is subject to VfD, is official policy, for
example, NPA and NPOV, subject to VfD, and if not, why is it any different
from other policies that have gained consesus but are deletable under #2?

My guess is, getting a definative answer on the issue is about as likely as
finding a flying pig, but I'm putting it out there nonetheless. I'd really
like to see an answer in the form of: "No, VfD can't touch policy, including
proposed policy" or "yes, all pages are subject to VfD." Bonus points if the
header of that response says "From: jwales"

Thanks all for your patience,

Essjay
---------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay