[WikiEN-l] WikiProject Decency

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Fri Aug 19 19:38:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Phroziac wrote:

> Could it be possible that Lir was gone enough to have developed a
> completely different style before coming back as -Ril-? Who in there
> right mind would pick a nick so similar to someone that's banned?

I must be the only person on Wikipedia who saw -Ril-'s nick, & did
not immediately think of Lir.

Then again, I know Lir mostly by reputation not from having interacted
with hir[*], although I have editted enough of Lir's articles to be
familiar with hir style: for one thing, Lir's contributions are about
what I expect a 13-year-old to contribute (my apologies to all
13-year-olds who have made useful contributions to Wikipedia), & -Ril-
writes at a much more informed & literate level.

In any case, the matter is over & done with. Unless someone provides
clear proof that they are the same person, let's move on to another
issue -- which is something both Lir & -Ril- seem unable to do.

Geoff

[*] "hir" is a proposed gender-indefinite pronoun that I've seen used
in some Usenet groups, years ago. Many people dislike it. Lir has
claimed in the past to be a woman in a man's body; I feel its use
in reference to Lir is appropriate.