[WikiEN-l] WikiProject Decency

Geoff Burling geoff at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Aug 18 20:41:39 UTC 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, David Gerard wrote:

> Geoff Burling (llywrch at agora.rdrop.com) [050818 20:35]:
>
> > Disclaimer: Yes, I have contributed material towards both. However, I
> > learned of both by accident; there is no organized group out to get -Ril-,
> > just an increasing number of people who have grown weary of him. And
> > many of whom no longer care -- if they ever did -- that David has
> > determined he is not a sockpuppet for Lir.
>

> To be precise, I could see no evidence he was. I should add that -Ril-
> doesn't edit anything like Lir IMO - I see no reason to assume -Ril- is
> anything other than what he appears and claims to be, an ordinary
> good-faith editor with a strong interest in ancient Egypt, who has
> unfortunately been conflicting with quite a few people (whoever may be
> considered to "blame" for this).

And for the record, from his style alone I never thought he was Lir.
-Ril- has always demonstrated that he is informed or knowledgable -- but
resolutely opinionated about the articles he contributes to.

He has simply repeated this exoneration enough times -- & in at least
one circumstance where it wasn't relevant -- that he is in danger of
raising people's suspicions that he _might_ actually be Lir unless he
stops. Or at least should someone mention it, limit his response
to a terse reply like "That was proven false; look at my Talk page for
the details."

I didn't mean to cast doubt on David's abilities, & apologize if I
gave that impression.

Geoff