[WikiEN-l] Re: Objectionable material

Theresa Knott theresaknott at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 15:22:51 UTC 2005

On 8/18/05, Skyring <skyring at gmail
> I appreciate both positions, but in the meantime, we live in the real
> world where some parents and teachers and clergymen are going to apply
> pressure to stop their children or students or congregations from
> using an online encyclopedia that contains material that they consider
> objectionable, regardless of how sensitively it is presented or how
> much we might wish for there to be no censorship at all.

Yes

> These sort of people tend to be firm in their convictions and vocal in
> presenting their opinions,

Yes

> and if there is a picture of autofellatio
> or a gigantic anus in WP, then they will find it and use it against
> us.

Well they can try.

> I rather think that they will not be swayed by the arguments noted
> above.

Well you can't win 'em all.

> Just how tasteful and educational is a picture of a naked guy
> sucking himself? It's hardly Michaelangelo's David, is it?

It's not art though. It's educational in the sense that is shows what
autofellatio is in the same way as a photo of a microscope shows what
a microscope is. It doesn't harm anyone. it doesn't show something
will give people nightmares . It doesn't exploit anyone or show
someone being harmed and it doesn't depict an unsafe act. I wonder
what people's objection's to it might be (apart from it's yucky).

Theresa