[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-L Mailing List Members - What I Don't Like About Wikipedia

Arkady Rose arkady at arkady.org.uk
Thu Aug 18 12:12:41 UTC 2005

Lester D.K. Chow and Associates wrote:

> I am a Chinese-American of the third generation.  I worked as a
> political negotiator, during the Iraq War in 1990.  My college
> background is four years of college as a business management major and
> history minor.  My family are very prominent Chinese people as my
> second cousin is China's renowned Premier Zhou Enlai.  I am a member
> of China's Imperial family and a self-taught cultural expert on China
> and the Middle East.
>
> I wrote additions to the topics of "Eber," "Joktan," and the "Zhou
> Dynasty."  My family's dynasty of which I am a qualified expert.  In
> history, there are conflicting interpretations as to events and
> dates.  I think that it is wrong to only allow one view to dominate
> and to not publish all valid views.  Somehow, your editors erased what
> I had republished about two or three hours ago (my time, at this
> writing, is August 17, 2005, 11:10 p.m.).  Then, too, I think that it
> is wrong for people (the general public) to erase all of the hard work
> and time that you have put into your article and to continually erase
> it every time you post.
>
> Can anything be done about this?

The whole point about Wikipedia is that *anyone* can edit any article
they wish and that it is not restricted soley to "experts".

The NPOV (Neutral Point Of View) policy does not mean "all views must be
published" but that the tone of the article should be neutral and
balanced. Any additions to an article that appear to be overly biased in
one direction or another are therefore likely to be deleted or edited by
another editor to achieve the desired neutral overview. No one editor
can claim "ownership" of an article, regardless of what their "expert
credentials" may be.

-a