[WikiEN-l] WikiProject Decency

Phroziac phroziac at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 17:54:52 UTC 2005

I agree about a penis not being obscene, but it's unfortunately
commonly used as a shock picture, for vandalism. But of course, if it
wasn't there, they'd just upload it for the vandalism, so no problem.

What really bugs me is when people screw up pictures to make them
"less offensive". This means making it black and white, blurring out
parts or all of the picture, making the thumbnail 10px and at the
bottom of the page where nobody could possible see it, etc.

On 8/17/05, Theresa Knott <theresaknott at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/17/05, Fastfission <fastfission at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That's a pretty ugly discussion, but reading over their (somewhat
> > misguided) page does bring up one possible addition to the discussion
> > on "inappropriate" images which I didn't see raised before.
> >
> > Namely, if the English Wiki servers are hosted in a U.S. state, then
> > the site does, if I am not mistaken, fall under various laws about the
> > distribution of "obscene" images to minors. "Obscene" is of course a
> > subject term, in the legal realm as well as here, but there is some
> > precedent which could allow one to make such decisions.
>
> Well I'm making a big assumption here. But I'm going to assume that
> Florida is a reasonable state with reasonable laws on obscenity. If
> that is the case then we simple shouldn't have any images that are
> obscene.
>
> Wikipedia is an encylopedia not a pornshop.
>
> For example. I do not believe that the picture of an erect penis on
> the penis article is obscene. It it encylopedic and entirely
> appropriate for minors, and I cannot believe that the state of Florida
> would think otherwise. _If_ we have any pornographic pictures, and we
> do have a lot of pics of pornstars, I haven't checked them all but
> it's certainly possible that someone might upload a pornographic image
> of one of them we should simplr delete them as innapropriate for an
> encylopedia.
>
> Theresa

signature