[WikiEN-l] WikiProject Decency

Theresa Knott theresaknott at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 16:36:46 UTC 2005

On 8/17/05, Fastfission <fastfission at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's a pretty ugly discussion, but reading over their (somewhat
> misguided) page does bring up one possible addition to the discussion
> on "inappropriate" images which I didn't see raised before.
>
> Namely, if the English Wiki servers are hosted in a U.S. state, then
> the site does, if I am not mistaken, fall under various laws about the
> distribution of "obscene" images to minors. "Obscene" is of course a
> subject term, in the legal realm as well as here, but there is some
> precedent which could allow one to make such decisions.

Well I'm making a big assumption here. But I'm going to assume that
Florida is a reasonable state with reasonable laws on obscenity. If
that is the case then we simple shouldn't have any images that are
obscene.

Wikipedia is an encylopedia not a pornshop.

For example. I do not believe that the picture of an erect penis on
the penis article is obscene. It it encylopedic and entirely
appropriate for minors, and I cannot believe that the state of Florida
would think otherwise. _If_ we have any pornographic pictures, and we
do have a lot of pics of pornstars, I haven't checked them all but
it's certainly possible that someone might upload a pornographic image
of one of them we should simplr delete them as innapropriate for an
encylopedia.

Theresa