[WikiEN-l] Re: Wikipedia for class projects

Peta Holmes holmespeta at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 01:03:35 UTC 2005

A welcome page or a portal would probably be a good
idea if someone was willing to set one up for classes
using Wikipedia. The biggest problem I've seen with
class projects is the mass insertion of copyrighted
material, which is bad for us and bad for them since
you'd expect college students to understand the
ramifications of plagiarism. So any welcome page
should explicitly spell out the copyright issue. Also
I think we should recommend that they contribute as
registered users so that any copyright issues can be
attributed to one user, and if they are getting credit
for their contributions they can be penalised for
plagiarism.

--Peta