[WikiEN-l] Viral marketing?

Ben Yates bluephonic at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 14:15:38 UTC 2005

Still, someone wrote into boingboing with the following:

"I can't say who I am, but I do work at a company that uses Wikipedia
as a key part of online marketing strategies. That includes planting
of viral information in entries, modification of entries to point to
new promotional sites or "leaks" embedded in entries to test diffusion
of information. Wikipedia is just a more transparent version of
Myspace as far as some companies are concerned. We love it (evil
laugh).

On the other side, I love it from an academia/sociological standpoint,
and I don't necessarily have a problem with it used as a viral
marketing tool. After all, marketing is a form of information, with
just a different end point in mind (consuming rather than learning)."

How well can wikipedia protect itself against this unfamiliar sort of
systemic bias?

Ben Yates
Wikipedia Blog -- http://wikip.blogspot.com