[WikiEN-l] Copyright situation

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 16:42:15 UTC 2005

Why not make a special tag template for this? Something along the lines of:

"This image, produced by the current government of Iran, are believed
to not fall under U.S. copyright laws as Iran is not a member of WIPO.
Should this change, though, the usage of this image is still believed
to fall under the "fair use" clause of U.S. copyright law. Use in
mediums other than on the servers of the English-language Wikipedia,
hosted in the United States by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation,
may not be exempt from either of these requirements."

Then we will also at least have them all marked easily *should* we
want to mass delete them all. (I find it also very unlikely that the
government of Iran would ever sue Wikipedia for use of its images, so
I think this should fall under "low-threat fair use" in our thinking
about it, rather than worrying about WIPO membership)

FF