[WikiEN-l] What's wrong with the world?

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sat Aug 6 15:11:35 UTC 2005

Anthony DiPierro (anthonydipierro at hotmail.com) [050806 08:35]:

> The way I read this, there would be a stable version and a current version,
> much like the linux kernel or just about any large bit of source code.  If
> that's what he meant, it sounds like a good idea.
> Of course, it worries me if this quote is accurate, because it makes it
> sound like he plans on imposing this idea upon the community.  We all know
> how long it takes to implement something this major by any means other than
> edict.

Something like the plan in [[User:David Gerard/1.0]] would use an article
rating system (picture a "Rate this page" tab at the top next to "Article",
"Edit", etc.) to get a rough idea of what is of decent quality to pull for
a distribution. Any branching and polishing would be left as late as
possible. Think of the Mozilla process, where the alpha, beta and final are
branched from the nightlies, slightly polished for a few days (or weeks)
and then released. This would provide minimal disruption of and diversion
of resources from the live Wikipedia.

- d.