[WikiEN-l] Anti-elitism

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Aug 6 11:40:35 UTC 2005

Alphax wrote:

> - From what I've heard - and I could be gravely mistaken - and I apologise
> if I am - Larry's approach was "I have more degrees than you, I made
> this whole thing happen, therefore I must be right".
>
> Sounds exactly like the sort of elitism he warns against.

First, Larry warns us against "anti-elitism" not against "elitism".
He's an advocate of elitism.

I think your summary of his approach is unfair to him as well.  Larry
would react very badly to the notion that he would ever say "I have more
degrees than you, etc."  That's not like him at all.

Larry and I have our disagreements but I feel that his impact in the
early years was substantial and should be respected.

--Jimbo