[WikiEN-l] What's wrong with the world?

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 6 00:29:02 UTC 2005

Phroziac wrote:

>There's nothing wrong with the minority thing, but it is pretty funny.
>I completely agree with locking completed articles. Why should they be
>edited if they're done?

A "done" article? There's no such thing.

I hope Jimbo's just been misleadingly quoted, personally. I would like
to see a system whereby versions of an article can be marked as "nice"
so that it's really easy to get to the most recent "nice" version.
Perhaps even have the "nice" version be the default one shown to
non-logged-in users and/or users who set a preference for that, with the
edit link still taking the user to the current version instead. But I
think officially permanently locking an article because someone thinks
that it's "done" is a tremendously bad idea. Article protection is a
very blunt instrument, blunter even than user bans, and I believe using
it this way would damage Wikipedia far worse than any vandalism it might
prevent.