[WikiEN-l] What's wrong with the world?

steve v vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 20:06:42 UTC 2005

Simply freezing content seems rather unwiki, but here
"lock" is just a misnomer for "extended protection,"
allowing sysops only to edit them. The idea is that WP
has gotten too big and fast to monitor all vandalism
quickly, and dormant/stagnant pages present an easy
target.

As long as there are certain degrees between
'completely open' and 'completely closed,' and a means
(other than just talk pages) for non-admins to request
changes on "locked" pages, it should be fine.

And yes, a disfork linking a pop-band like "Green Day"
from a general article like "minority" IS a problem.

SV

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/computing/20050805-1259-media-wikipedia.html