[WikiEN-l] I better shut up (was vfd RFC)

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 13:05:39 UTC 2005

On 04/08/05, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:

> Is it significantly worse now, or just scales badly ...

Some numbers:

31/07 - 102
30/07 - 121
29/07 - 137
28/07 - 130
27/07 - 130
26/07 - 132
25/07 - 108

ie, 860 over a week at the end of July, versus

31/01 - 58
30/01 - 69
29/01 - 76
28/01 - 67 (one of which I remember, sigh)
27/01 - 65
26/01 - 69
25/01 - 63

at the end of January, a mere 468. Numbers don't included cases where
many pages were listed together (there was one last week with over
20!), but I suspect they scale to the rest of VfD - so almost doubling
in six months?

It's trickier to get numbers for a year ago, so I won't try it now,
but I'd guess at maybe 250/week? In a few months, the day-at-a-glance
VfD page will get to the length it was a year before,
week-at-a-glance... when it was already straining.

Leaving aside the inherent problems of the VfD process, there's an
obvious scaling issue there. The recent WP:CSD expansions will stem
the tide a bit - a lot of VfDs are "playing safe nominations" of
speedy candidates anyway, but...

I have absolutely no idea what to do about it, so I'm glad someone
seems to have enough suggestions to get a debate going :-)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk