[WikiEN-l] Re: Example vs. Original research

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Aug 2 18:32:09 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Skyring wrote:
>

>>The difference is that some people actively argue that the earth is
>>not a sphere, whereas those who argue that Paris is not the capital of
>>France so far have kept their activities secret.
>>
>>If a fact is contentious, then it should be backed up with a cite.
>>

>I can't agree with you that flat earthers constitute a sufficiently
>respectable or large position that we need to treat the roundness of the
>earth as the sort of fact that necessitates a citation.

Part of the problem is that the people raising the flat earth argument
are not themselves falt earthers.  Hypothesizing arguments that aren't
being made, and generating well-reasoned and documented
counter-arguments are the essence of straw man reasoning.  Without being
disrespectful to them we should wait until we hear from genuine
flat-earthers before documenting the alternate view.

While we are waiting for them may I hypothesize that the edges of our
flat earth are decorated by a fringe of trolls waiting for the unwary. :-)

Ec