[WikiEN-l] Newbies "stumbling" across VfD

Daniel P. B. Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Mon Aug 1 23:03:00 UTC 2005

> But we aren't, and I suspect more than one person was incredibly
> confused. Think of all the pages that link to VfD, and how many
> newbies stumble across it; all the policies that mention it.

I don't know about that.

I suspect that very FEW newbies stumble across it. I am trying to
remember how long I was editing Wikipedia before I ran into VfD or
even knew that pages got deleted. I believe it was several months.

I mean, it really takes a lot of... something... to create an
encyclopedia page about yourself in the first place. And it takes a
lot more of that to do it when it says right above the editing box
that you shouldn't.

The self-promoters, the original researches, and the POV warriors
"stumble" across VfD. Good-faith contributors with even a faint idea
of what an "encyclopedia" can retain their innocence for quite a while.

--
Jean is going to be bicycling 83 miles in the Pan Mass Challenge in
August, raising money for cancer research. Her profile is at http://