[WikiEN-l] Intolerance directed towards poor English

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 19 06:23:42 UTC 2005

[[Japanese nationalism]] is very much in the news; anyone looking there now
will see a fairly comprehensive article, which is constantly being added to,
and would give a fair idea of why there is still an issue in East Asia.

A dozen days ago there was not much there (nothing pre-1945).  A great deal
has been added by an anon, who has introduced himself ([[User
talk:Asbestos]]), and clearly has a wide background in this area.  His
English is bad (he appears to be a Spanish-spaeker from Uruguay) and always
needs work.

My point is that I have had a devil of a job with this material, in the face
of some very blinkered attitudes from others:

*"It's machine translation".

No it isn't - too many typos for that.

*"It's incomprehensible".

No it isn't.

*"It's vandalism".

No it isn't. (That was from someone who has had an account for four days,
and who has already been given a barnstar. Please!)

*Reverts with no explanation.

This is bad behaviour, and likely to offend a good contributor.

I find this all reflects very badly on the culture of the English Wikipedia.
Few seem to have the time to puzzle out badly-expressed contributions.  To
extend the coverage to parts others find hard to reach we are going to ned,
not Heineken beer, but help from the widest possible range of editors.

Charles