[WikiEN-l] Nude Kate Winslet Picture

Rebecca misfitgirl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 12:25:16 UTC 2005

I really think this comes down to an issue of accessibility. If we're
aiming to build a large, open and accessible encyclopedia, then I
don't think it helps that cause to effectively limit its readership to
the most extremely liberal people on the planet - which rules out a
vast amount of our potential readers and contributors. By definition,
it particularly rules out a rather large proportion of people in
non-Western countries, which can't be good for our content.

I'm really tired of feeling like a conservative on Wikipedia.
Somewhere, it seems we lost a bit of basic common sense. If there's a
good reason an image is likely to offend people (and there's
justification for it being there it all), then make people use a
second click to access the image. In that instance, no information is
lost, it's still just as accessible, and the amount of people likely
to be offended/not use Wikipedia drops markedly.

-- ambi