[WikiEN-l] Kate Winslet Exposure

Tom Haws hawstom at sprintmail.com
Thu Apr 14 19:14:49 UTC 2005

Compromise alert.

Rick wrote:

>But wouldn't that offend people who don't want to see
>violence?  ~~~~

Rick's suggestion reminds me that there is lots of content that can't be
prohibited, but could be labelled.  If Wikipedia only had a way of
labelling the image in question as something factual like "female;
photographed; breast exposed; glamorous", then I or anybody else could
browse Wikipedia with our filter on, and the rest of you could enjoy
unfiltered.

Wikipedia as a whole, in a practical sense, belongs to each of us.  But
its multitude of facets are apportioned among us according to our
interests and specialties.  There is no reason why content labels cannot
exist as a facet of Wikipedia that is largely ignored by those who are
disinterested in the associated needs.  And there is no reason why
sexology areas can't exist.

The unreasonable positions are the ones that insist 1) strange niche
areas (sexology) can't exist or be illustrated or 2) any content at all
(Kate Winslet) cannot be subject to labelling for special needs.

Does that sound wrong to anybody?

Tom Haws