[WikiEN-l] No PD

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Apr 9 23:41:43 UTC 2005

MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:

>The person who said this, mentioned PD stuff can't have a copyright
>holder, so even if you release for free use, technically you're still
>the copyright holder. (Am I making sense). Surely anyone can release
>stuff as they wish?

I make a subtle distinction when it comes to defining public domain.

Rather than to say that a copyright in the public domain is owned by
nobody, I would prefer to say that it is owned by the public.  Thus
defending public domain copyrights becomes defending the rights of
everyone to use that material.  US law does provide for a $2500 fine
when someone claims a copyright that is not his, but I don't know if
that has ever been enforced.  I see defending public rights as a
fundamental obligation of a republican form of government.

Ec