[WikiEN-l] CheeseDreams/Cultural and Historical Background of Jesus

steven l. rubenstein rubenste at ohiou.edu
Tue Nov 30 23:19:41 UTC 2004

As some of you know there is an endless debate on this article's talk
page.  Sometimes, there is actually constructive discussion.  I am in a
conflict with CheeseDreams that is under mediation.  But I turn to all of
you for hopefully immediate aid on another issue.

As the talk page gets too long, CheeseDreams summarizes the
discussion.  She claims to do this to save space as "some editors are
verbose."  There are two problems with this.  First, it is CheeseDreams who
does the summarizing, so in effect she has taken it upon herself to
represent all parties in any dispute.  Second, the summaries themselves
take up a huge amount of space.  John Kenney has already questioned this
practice (which I don't think is common).  I just archived a huge amount of
material and asked CheeseDreams to stop summarizing.  But she is currently
summarizing.  She is summarizing the last two days worth of
discussion.  This is ridiculous -- we should archive old material, but keep
new material -- material that is still under discussion --
available.  CheeseDreams'  method of summarizing doesn't really save a lot
of space, but it does rewrite in CheeseDreams' words what other people are
saying.

I know CheeseDreams is not intending to vandalize the page, and I can't
call this vandalism.  But it is wrong, horribly wrong.

I am not calling for her to be banned or blocked.  I am a party to a
dispute under mediation and can't do anything.  But I ask someone to do
something about this obsessive "summarizing."  Please.  Someone.  Help.

Steven L. Rubenstein
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Bentley Annex
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701